The Good Life
with Thomas Ryan
"What good must I do to have eternal life?" (Mt 10:16)
This is one of the fundamental questions we all should ask. In fact, this is "an essential and unavoidable question for the life of every man." (Veritatis Spendor, §8)
What can ancients like Aristotle and Plato or a medieval like Thomas Aquinas teach us about living a good life in our modern world?
We might start by asking, "What is a good life?"
How would you answer the question, "Are you a good person?"
For that matter, "What is good?"
Does being a good person and doing the good necessary for eternal life mean following the law? Which law? The natural law? The laws of man? The divine law?
Through this course, you will:
- be able to talk about ethics, morals, conscience and choice, reason, human appetites, free will, doing right and desiring right, and love
- gain an understanding of the relationship between natural law, Mosaic law, the laws of man, and divine law
- gain an appreciation of the true source for many of the ills rampant in our modern world
- appreciate the role that the cardinal and theological virtues play in developing our moral character
- gain an understanding of the moral life as a journey of discipleship
- assess ethical situations in light of the Church's tradition of moral thought
- be able to relate all of the above to your own pilgrimage of faith
Come join with us for a 12-week exploration of how we can better use the the gifts we have received of free will, reason, and faith in a proper response of honor and thanksgiving for all we have received!
The instructor for this program is Mr. Thomas Ryan, MA Theology
For more information, please contact Tom at email@example.com
Sep 17 - Dec 17th, 2019
Tue for 12 weeks from 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Holy Apostles Catholic Church
4925 N Carefree Cir
Colorado Springs, CO 80917 Get directions